Saturday, August 30, 2008

Boring Day

It is mid-day on Saturday and our second weekend here. And I am rather bored. I am not sure how families that stay in excess of 2 months do it. Of the 10 days we have been in Ukraine, we have been without our facilitator for 7 of those days - that means no translator and no sense of adventure on our part.

Yes there are our twice a day trips to the orphanage which are wonderful. And there is our every other day trip to the grocery store which is fun. And daily I walk behind our apartment to the market simply to browse and kill time. They are starting to recognize me. Today I was even able to charade out "souvenier thimble".

I can not forget the 3x daily that we boil water. And once a day when we wash the tiniest load of laundry I have ever seen and hang it out to dry on the balcony. And there is the cooking of meals and the washing of dishes. And we spend atleast 30 minutes a day watching the BBC news - who by the way is having a hey day with the upcoming elections.

I try to read, I try to cross stich. We play family fued and other computer games. We email and blog and twitter and skype - thank God for the internet. And we watch movies --- every single night.

Except for our visits with "G", this is getting pretty old. Even with the fun of getting trapped in the elevator and flooding the bathroom with an overflowing washing machine.

And we nap everyday. We REALLY REALLY need something a little different to do!

1 comment:

Tami said...

Ummmm....I don't know. I used to take walks just to have something to do. Thankfully there were some other American couples in Odessa to help me pass the time. I went to church a couple of times, had dinner at their apartment a couple of times and had a single adoptive mom stay with me over a weekend once. It really did help me pass the time. Wish I had some more suggestions for you. The one thing I wish I would have done would be do some shopping for a wedding/special event present from their home-town. Something they can have as a family heirloom. I wanted to get the girls some crystal bowls or lace something or others...and the boys - well, I didn't really have any good ideas. But maybe you could come up with a good one.